BARBECUE CAULIFLOWER WINGS
misskursovie2013 from Pixabay.com
What are BBQ Cauliflower Wings?
BBQ Cauliflower Wings are a great finger licking replacement for your traditional chicken wings. They’re a very tasty, vegan friendly and healthy snack for you and your family to consume at any hour!
BBQ Cauliflower Wings: A Good Alternative for Chicken Wings or Not?
If you look into the taste, no, BBQ Cauliflower Wings do not taste the same as chicken wings.
However, what makes them a good alternative to chicken wings is their list of vegan ingredients and their own great and distinctive taste. Still, it’s fair to say that after being battered, they do give a rather meaty texture of their own.
As far as you’re concerned about satisfying your taste buds, there is no need to worry! You can make them spicy, tangy and even sweet, depending on your individual need.
Can BBQ Cauliflower Wings be Served as Appetizers?
Yes, BBQ Cauliflower Wings are to be served as appetizers or sides. While chicken wings can be served as both starters and main course, Cauliflower Wings on the contrary are a very light meal that make up for a perfect savory starter.
This also implies that they are a great snack to munch on at parties and similar occasions.
Do Kids Love BBQ Cauliflower Wings?
Absolutely! This is a smart way of feeding picky kids their vegetables. They will tend to forget that they’re consuming cauliflowers under the rich, crispy bites of heavenly wings.
AN EASY RECIPE FOR BARBECUE CAULIFLOWER WINGS
Ingredients and Amounts
- Cauliflower – 1 large head (to be cut into smaller pieces)
- Flour – ¾ cup
- Breadcrumbs – 2 cups
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Garlic powder – one tbsp
- Onion powder – one tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Barbecue Sauce – 18 ounces
Mixing and Handling
- Before beginning, preheat your oven to 450 Degree Fahrenheit.
- Add granulated and powdered onion, garlic and salt to a bowl of flour.
- Once combined evenly, pour the cup of water into the dry ingredients. The mixture should be thick yet pourable. To reach this texture, do adjust the amount of water as per the requirement.
- Prepare another combination of dry ingredients by adding onion, garlic and salt to the panko breadcrumbs in another bowl. Keep this as it is.
- Now dip all your small cauliflowers heads gradually in the initial thick mixture of flour and milk, so that it’s evenly spread on all your cauliflowers.
- After shaking off excess batter, place the pieces of cauliflowers in the bowl of breadcrumbs. Continue rolling them within the crumbs until they’re evenly spread all over each head of cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflowers on a baking sheet to put them in the preheated oven. Don’t put them directly on the baking sheet, rather line it with a parchment paper before.
- Bake them until they’re crisp and golden, not forgetting to flip them halfway through.
- Put on BBQ sauce over them after they’re ready, then bake them again to caramelize the sauce.
- In the first baking round – when you’re cooking the raw cauliflower wings for them to become tender yet crispy – the average time taken is around 20 minutes. This includes the flipping over period too.
- In the second round when you’re caramelizing the BBQ sauce, bake the cauliflowers for 10 minutes or less.
We can’t take all the credit for this recipe as it is based on one from noracooks. Link to the original can be found below
Keeping Them Crispy
We’re sure you don’t want to serve soggy BBQ Cauliflower Wings. In order to make sure they’re as crispy as possible, do not dip them in the BBQ sauce. Instead, brush the sauce over each piece. This easy trick will keep them as crunchy as the initial bake.
They’re a complete snack on their own. Still if you want to enhance the deliciousness, you can use whatever dip you prefer. There are absolutely no restrictions!
We personally prefer honey mustard sauce, ranch, sour cream and chipotle sauce. You can even dip them in more barbecue sauce!
Of course, to make the meal look even more appealing, you can side them with small carrot sticks and even celery sticks.
Saving for Later
Yes! It’s completely healthy and safe to keep the leftovers for later. You can refrigerate them in a covered container for about 2-3 days, and heat them in an oven, or even a microwave. This means you can even bake excess and save some for your late-night nibbling.
We assure you, this recipe has been put together to give you the best, healthiest and tastiest barbecue Cauliflower Wings that will leave you compelled to bake them over and over again.